Saturday 2 July 2011

Himalayan High Day 2

Rhododendron flowers

 Hearing that today was going to be an easy day, read: no stone staircases, perked my spirits. The walk to Gorepani was a pleasant stroll through rhododendron forests. I was already amazed by the diversity of the landscape and I had more, much more, to see. We were there by 1pm and had lots of time to enjoy this small village. Gorepani was a lovely place with quaint teahouses that dotted the area, and we got our first view of Annapurna South. Our teahouse had a communal fireplace which kept us nice and toasty, but the highlight was the view of Annapurna South from our room.  



View of Annapurna South
The reason most people head to Gorepani is to trek up Poon Hill (3200metres). From Poon Hill you can get great views of the Annapurna mountain range, that is if the weather co-operates.  Many people who can’t do a longer trek hike Poon Hill. At only three to five days it is an easy way, well, relatively easy, not counting the stone staircases up to Ulleri, to see the Himalayas. We heard good things about Poon Hill and decided to add it as a side trip to the Annapurna Sanctuary trek.

 
One of my favourite stops: Gorepani!
After a hot shower, I was warming myself by the fireplace and coming around to the idea that trekking isn’t so bad. But that moment quickly faded as it dawned on me that tomorrow I would have to trek up Poon Hill and then to Chomrong. It would be ten hours of trekking starting at 4:30am. Pushing thoughts of the hard day aside, I enjoyed the comforts and views afforded by my teahouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment