Saturday 19 March 2011

The Best Bite: Mysore Pak

I'm in love. Thalis, curries and dosas they’re all delicious, but I have a sweet tooth. India has won me over with its incredibly rich and buttery sweets.
Two weeks ago I was in Mysore. Mysore has a nice palace, an okay hill, and a ho-hum train museum which is described as a “must see” in the guidebook—one good train display and three old engines a must see does not make. As far as I’m concerned, the only reason to visit Mysore is to eat Mysore Butter Pak the local sweet. But I’m biased. Andrew who doesn't have a sweet tooth agrees with me.
Here are the ingredients: ghee (clarified butter), flour, sugar. Finished. Who knew three simple ingredients could make such a delectable creation? This sweet starts off with a crumbly edge. After the crumbly edge a delicate gooey center appears and melts away leaving a mild buttery sweetness in your mouth. It's rich. A small square is almost too much to eat. Almost too much.
We were chatting with some travelers and asked if they tried it. Looks of guilt blushed on their faces as they meekly replied: “Yes, last night for dessert and then again this morning for breakfast.” I didn’t judge them because I’ve been guilty of gluttony far worst then that and Mysore butter pak is worth every single calorie!

No comments:

Post a Comment